Saturday, November 24, 2012

Movie Review: Breaking Dawn, Part 2

Breaking Dawn, Part 2
*Based on the book Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer
 
I am going to try to make this review as spoiler-free as possible for people who haven't yet seen the movie, but if you haven't read the book yet, you may just want to skip the entire review as I'm sure I'll end up ruining something for you...LOL. 

I am extremely excited to say that I've now FINISHED the entire Twilight Saga. I have read all the books, I have seen all the movies...I'm happy to be done.  And while the movies are fun to watch, they're not really stellar.  No one is going to argue that they should be winning awards, right?  But...it was fun to see the last one, finally!!

In case you've forgotten, here is a basic description of the storyline:
To be irrevocably in love with a vampire is both fantasy and nightmare woven into a dangerously heightened reality for Bella Swan. Pulled in one direction by her intense passion for Edward Cullen, and in another by her profound connection to werewolf Jacob Black, a tumultuous year of temptation, loss, and strife have led her to the ultimate turning point. Her imminent choice to either join the dark but seductive world of immortals or to pursue a fully human life has become the thread from which the fates of two tribes hangs.

Now that Bella has made her decision, a startling chain of unprecedented events is about to unfold with potentially devastating, and unfathomable, consequences. Just when the frayed strands of Bella's life--first discovered in
Twilight, then scattered and torn in New Moon and Eclipse--seem ready to heal and knit together, could they be destroyed... forever?

Okay, let's get down to it...

These are the things that I liked:
The battle sequence... there was all sorts of dramarama going on here.  Grudges finally fought out. Revenge taken for previous deaths.  Heads were literally flying all over the place.  There were moments when I full-on jumped in my seat...

 
I loved how Bella and Jacob fought, then finally reconciled over Nessie excuse me, I mean Reneesme, LOL. (Still the worst baby name, ever!!) In fact, Jacob had some of the funniest moments in the whole movie based on his relationship changing with Bella and Edward now that he's imprinted.
 
There were some other really funny moments, too, based on Bella's not being able to control her own strength when she first turns. Sort of a hulkish, "You don't want to see me when I'm angry"...deal. :P
 


Happily, these were also the moments when Kristen Stewart was actually able to show emotion! She smiles, she frowns, she yells, she pouts...she actually does it all in this movie.  No more one face wonder! 
 
Sooo...aside from some CGI issues (baby Reneesme looks ridiculous) and some poor makeup choices (some of the characters looked a little freakish)... I think this is actually my favorite movie in the series.  Mostly, it's just because I can't stand Bella in New Moon or Eclipse, I just spend all my time wanting to scream at her... ugh. However, once she becomes a vampire, she actually grows her own personality again which is LOVELY! 
 
My final verdict - Campy fun and worth seeing if you've seen the first four movies.  You'll notice some differences from the book, but that's okay, too. This makes for a much more action packed and satisfying movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment